ben.ism

Site menu:

Sydney | 周杰倫演唱會 | 我想去... | Seoul | Taipei | Tokyo | ben.ism | お帰り! |

 


Continuing the etiquette series, let's talk about some train etiquette for when we next catch the train...

Before we get on the platform...
Well let's make sure we don't pay the ticket people in 5c coins. Or worse still, use EFTPOS or credit cards. Let's also not be lost when using ticket machines, because that wastes my precious time. No no, don't even try and run behind me as I go through the turnstiles. Heed my warning in case my ticket doesn't work and you end up slamming right into me. It happened just the other day. That guy was unlucky and got booked by the men in grey.

Do keep those iPods down
I don't know how some people can have their mp3 players turned up that loud. It's not like I enjoy listening to heavy metal at 8am going to work half asleep. I seriously feel like strangling them at times. Then they stare at you blankly, and you give them back a wry smile.

Do let people disembark first
I know how as Asians, we must run into the carriage and straight to the first seat we find... But that doesn't mean we need to bowl over 6 people in the process. And remember, as Asians, we are smaller than most Westerners. We might run into them and get concussed. Let people off first, please.

Don't be a seat hog
I hate people that take up 2 seats. They can do this in a variety of ways: they can literally sit in the middle, or give their bag a seat, and even better... put a wet umbrella on it. Wonderful. It's worse when people ignore the fact that you're gesturing to sit there. Ignorance. Such selfishness.

Do check empty seat for traps
Usually when there are heaps of people on the train and one seat left for the taking, it has probably been booby-trapped. Either with sticky liquids, remnants of food or puke. Play your cards well and you may have saved your new pants grief. Check the seat and every square inch around it, top and bottom. Cleanliness is next to nothingness here.

Don't tell the world your life story
I don't need to know the latest about your divorce matters, or how wonderful it is to have slept with the neighbour. Yes... I don't need to know your personal lives. Even if you speak quietly, I can still hear what you're saying. When the train is quiet and you're the only one talking, it's hard not to. And yes, the above life stories are true.

Do not fidget to tell me to allow you out
You don't need to fidget and start zipping zips to alert me to the fact that you need to get out of the window seat. The smallest movements and I already know. All you need to say is "excuse me". None of this shaking of the bag, look at , "ahem"-ing crap.

Do get out of the seat to give way
I hate it when people just bend their legs to the side to give you that 5cm more clearance as you try to make your way out of the inside seat. Get off your lazy arse and give me space. I'm Asian, I'm skinny and I don't fit between your knee and the seat in front. How do you expect anyone else to?

Schoolkids do keep quiet
And shut up I mean. Oh, and shove. Reduce those congregations. The train is not your private domain. They should be reminded that they actually have not paid for these services. Let those paid passengers out there feel like they haven't totally been rorted by the system.


benny | Wednesday, July 19, 2006
Comments from Anonymous Anonymous Anonymous Anonymous Anonymous Anonymous Blogger Tim Blogger benny

Post a Comment    [5 comments]

        oh man, i'm so gonna miss the mtr here in hk

        Anonymous Anonymous | Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:51:00 am  


        Ooh trains...I like this post. This should be on my site :p

        I usually do a mixture of the bendy legs thing and gettting up. Depends on how big the other person is.

        I usually try and buy my weekly ticket on any day other than Monday's and so I usually avoid the crowds.

        I usually do let people off first and I can usually predict where the train doors will stop and so I'm usually at the front of the crowd.

        I listen to my own iPod most of the time, mainly to drown out other people's convo's. I don't find any loud iPods (if any) on my morning peak train.

        The morning train is usually 80% full by the time it even gets to St Marys and so I'm lucky to get a a seat let alone hog it.

        Here's another do:

        Do leave a copy or 2 of the mX on the train if it's after 7pm so I can still read it on the train home if I'm going that late =p

        Anonymous Anonymous | Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:07:00 pm  


        Makes me wish I was back on the Japan trains. Quiet, clean, and heavenly.

        Anonymous Anonymous | Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:11:00 pm  


        Dear Ben,

        Oh no! Holidays are coming to a close...
        But hey, I really like this post - can I borrow it please?
        Note: you don't have permalinks!!

        Okay, well peace out ;)
        Tim Tjun

        Blogger Tim | Monday, July 24, 2006 5:16:00 pm  


        Hahah. People sure love these ranting posts... sure you can borrow it, Tim.

        And yup, the days are counting down towards being back at uni now. Make the most out of it people!

        Blogger benny | Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:09:00 am  



twitter.com/benism

    ben.ism notables
    july 3 jay concert evangelistic lactose intolerance HK weather warns
    ben.ism archives
    July 2009 June 2009