Well it's Easter, and Jesus has come back from the dead to save our souls. For some, Easter is just the long-long weekend that they need to kick back and relax. For others, it's a time of quiet reflection at humanity's sinful lifestyle and the price paid. Whilst for most it's just another day.
On the eve of yet another RICE event, I'm thinking about my reactions on evangelism, and belief in general. RICE is an evangelistic group set on spreading the gospel to the youthful (Chinese) masses. I hear about them from a lot of places, but I am not one to join. You will see why coming up.
Due to the nature of this post, I've added a stop mechanism here for those who feel uncomfortable reading further. If you want to continue to read on about my opinions on evangelism and religion, and also to see what picture I've used; just expand the post.
Expand the post...
I mean no disrespect to these groups. This is only to say that to a very sceptical Christian-by-name-only like myself, religion has not much meaning in my life. To be honest, it really holds no greater meaning unless you seek and want a greater sense of knowing, satisfaction and being. For those content with their lives as is, religion tends not to offer any more. Only when we search greater meaning in our lives to make sense of it does it make a difference. Whether this is through a loss of a loved one, changes in relationship status, or any change of circumstances; religion's offer of an answer is lucrative.
In a consumerist world like today, religion offers some a solace, but for others it is an ideology that refuses to emulsify. It can provide answers and guidance for those that need it. For those that fail to understand it, it seems like a waste of time. There is a routine and habit about it. It is a way of life. Religious people are just like everyone else. They choose to live their lives in devotion of their beliefs. It really is up to individual choices what you believe and it is by no means up to anyone else to say otherwise.
Religion is a choice. It is a choice that one makes when the time is right for them to do so. It is not something that can be forced upon someone through mass events and gospel readings. I believe people cannot be taken off the street and converted. There is a time when one will make the choice to believe because their personal search has led them to that very point.
A belief is a process of understanding and allowing the message to be understood. Scepticism works against this principle. Doubt is against this principle, but religion assures one of the benefit of their sacrifice. Are you willing to believe it? The fundamental belief that there is a greater place beyond this life?
You may do so already. You may not agree with what I have said in this post. I do not expect people to change their opinions on my words. What I do expect is discussion and contemplation. On a weekend of such significance to many religions, just take a step back and think, what does religion really mean to you?
Comments from pang Mags LJ
Post a Comment [3 comments]
That is EXACTLY how I feel about those events. I've braved an event similar to RICE (the YEAH show) twice - and while I am not a convert, can understand how intimidating it can be for some. It can come across like coercion, though those who believe think about it as 'persuasion' through sharing their 'experiences' with you.
"Choosing to believe when your personal search has led you to that point" is what I reckon it all boils down to. Someone who goes to church every week without really believing in what's said is no different to someone who hasn't attended church for 10 years. It is only when you make that choice to believe on your own, and not because you've been 'persuaded' by someone else, that you can truly embrace any religion.
here here, great post. Although I'm probably more atheistic by nature, I still think of myself as a pretty spiritual person.
Personally my take on religion is, I'll believe what I believe, you believe what you believe, just don't try and instill your beliefs on me and we'll mutually respect eachother. Otherwise you might get one very cranky atheist being very pissed off at you.
Sadly for most religions the "respect others' beliefs" is sorely lacking.


Religion is irrelevant to me. All praise the Easter Bunny and Santa!