ben.ism

Site menu:

Sydney | 周杰倫演唱會 | 我想去... | Seoul | Taipei | Tokyo | ben.ism | お帰り! |

 


鼎泰豐 din tai fung ディン.タイ.フォン

This name had become ingrained in my mind. I had come across this name three times in three weeks.

Week 1 - 新宿 (東京)
The first week was in Shinjuku, Tokyo on the twelfth floor of Takashimaya Times Square (高島屋) near HMV. I walked past it and looked at the chefs making dumplings in the window. Then around the corner, I saw the unbelievably long queue of people waiting to get in. I left. I wasn't about to eat Chinese food in Japan.

Takashimaya Shinjuku (高島屋新宿店) is one of twelve 鼎泰豐s opened in Takashimaya shopping complexes throughout Japan.

Week 2 - 尖沙嘴 (香港)
The second week I was in Silvercord (新港中心) Tsim Sha Shui, Hong Kong. The restaurant was up on the top floor of the shopping complex, complete with hordes of people. I found out that my friend had taken us here for dinner. What a coincidence I thought, seeing I had eyed this place in Tokyo one week ago. We waited along with the masses to sample what is the craze from Taiwan. It was not bad at all. The twelve of us were ushered in after waiting for 45mins, which was decent in the Hong Kong evening dinner peak. Then we were treated to a gastronomical delight. I could not complain. Well, maybe only about the small portions. It just was not enough.

While I was eating, I saw on the placemat a list of destinations that 鼎泰豐 had conquered. My friends said that they had tried 鼎泰豐 in Singapore and it was really good. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Sydney at the very end of the list. I knew that when I got back I had to make the pilgrimage to try it...

Hong Kong Kowloon (香港九龍店) is the only 鼎泰豐 in Hong Kong. It opened in January 2008.

Week 3 - 悉尼市 (悉尼)
The third week, and I had found myself back in Sydney. I made my way to World Square Town Hall and went up the stairs past the daunting purple dragon. I put my name down then stood and waited in the freezing cold but under red heaters holding a glass of tea. It was well worth the wait. My mandarin listening and speaking just got me across the line (their Taiwanese accent did markedly improve my ability to understand what they said). Although slightly on the expensive side, it's nothing a siu lung bau/xiao long bao (小籠包) dipped in vinegar with slices of ginger can't fix.

World Square Sydney is the first Australian branch of the 鼎泰豐 franchise. It opened its doors in May 2008, but was officially opened last week.

Website: 鼎泰豐 Chinese (Taiwan) / 鼎泰豐 English (US)


benny | Saturday, July 12, 2008
Comments from

Post a Comment    [0 comments]


twitter.com/benism

    ben.ism notables
    july 3 jay concert evangelistic lactose intolerance HK weather warns
    ben.ism archives
    July 2009 June 2009