beijing breathless
It would be crazy of me to talk about pollution and forget about one city in particular - Beijing. The Olympic city has been under intense global scrutiny for its failure to provide clean air in readiness for the Olympics beginning on Friday, 8 August 2008.Beijing's air quality has often exceeded international air quality standards. On Monday, smog returned to the Chinese capital and shrouded the Bird's Nest Stadium reducing visibility to less than one kilometre.
The city has already enacted draconian measures to combat this problem, only to be met with moderate success. Heavy industry was closed down and more than three million cars were forced off the roads more than 2 weeks ago. It seems that emergency measures proposed last week may need to be taken. These are to remove 90% of cars from the road and to close even more factories.
Can you find the Birds Nest Stadium in that picture?
Comments from Win benny


Sounds familiar. I was up there during the 5.1 break. I was there for five days, and it was five days of haze/smog/pollution and I could barely make out the sun.
HK is so beautiful and clean in comparison!