one year on
It will be one year on from the disastrous Sichuan earthquake (汶川大地震) on May 12 at 2:28pm and the media in Hong Kong is abuzz with reports on the stricken area.China only confirmed officially on Thursday that 5,355 students were killed or remained missing as a result of the earthquake, a figure that was far lower than estimated by experts. In total, 68,712 people perished.
Parents have blamed the government for the construction of so called "tofu-dreg (fragile) schools" (豆腐渣校舍) as they crumbled down on top of their children during class. The devastation was magnified by the strict one-child policy, meaning that many parents have lost their only child. Such restrictions have been lifted in Sichuan to register "illegal children" as replacement for the dead "legitimate" child. That's little consolation. Even hearing the terminology makes one cringe.
Officially, the government stance is that the earthquake was solely to blame.
If I say anymore, I'm scared next time I go to China I'll end up getting locked up for inciting political instability.
Comments from Unknown benny

Congratulations for graduating, Ben!
I'm really proud of you for securing a great career. I know that making the "transition" to work life is not an easy task. I'm sure you'll gradually come to embrace and when you finally do, you'll be able to reflect back on it and add it to your collection of accomplishments.
Take care. We'll keep in touch.
xxx